Officina Profumo Farmaceutica Santa Maria Novella
Welcome to the wonderful world of Officina Profumo-Farmaceutica di Santa Maria Novella, the world's oldest pharmacy. Founded as a Dominican friary in 1221, Officina Profumo-Farmaceutica today is considered one of the most important niche perfume houses in the world. Its legacy in the art of the apothecary spans eight centuries and is deeply intertwined with the history, personalities and social fabric of Florence.
The Perfume and Pharmaceutical Workshop of Santa Maria Novella: The History
It all began 800 years ago when the Dominican friars were granted the use of Santa Maria Inter Vineas, a small church just outside the city walls of Florence. Here they cultivated a botanical garden of aromatic herbs and plants to prepare medicines, ointments and balsams. In 1542, the pharmacy's doors were officially opened to the general public, and in 1612 it was formally recognised under the name of “Officina Profumo-Farmaceutica” by the Grand Duke of Tuscany.
Over the centuries, illustrious Dominican personalities such as Angiolo Marchissi and Cosimo Bucelli directed the Officina, bringing to light traditional preparations and cosmetics for personal care. In the 20th century, the Officina was transformed into an important museum, becoming a tourist and cultural destination.
The fame of the Officina reached the five corners of the world, thanks to its traditional preparations, such as the Rose Water, created during the decades of the Black Death, and its cosmetic and personal care products such as perfumes, balms, ointments and soaps. Today, Officina Profumo-Farmaceutica di Santa Maria Novella is world-famous for its products and its “ancient preparations”. Its products win international acclaim and are appreciated by royal houses, artists and prominent personalities.
The Origins of Acqua di Rose Santa Maria Novella
The production of perfumed waters has an ancient history, dating back as far as 1381. At that time, the decades of the black plague were particularly difficult for the afflicted populations, and it was for this reason that the Dominican friars began distilling Rose Water. This perfumed water was used both for personal care and to heal environments. It was generally taken together with wine or in pills.
The spirits were stored in glass cruets or copper containers, and customers bought them with jugs for pouring. This custom continued until the end of the 19th century, but even today, the essence of this natural tonic is appreciated for its toning, refreshing and purifying properties, elevating it to a preparation with numerous cosmetic benefits. Made with distilled Damascena rose water, the naturally fragrant infusion soothes and calms the skin, while the formulation gives a fresh and astringent effect. Now available as tonic in two sizes: 500 and 250 ml.
The Officina Profumo-Farmaceutica di Santa Maria Novella and Caterina de’ Medici: the History of a Unique Perfume
Legend has it that in 1533, the young Catherine de' Medici chose Renato Bianco, raised by the Dominican friars of Santa Maria Novella, as her personal perfumer at the French Court, where she was about to marry Henry II of Valois. It was on this occasion that 'Acqua della Regina' was born: a fragrance to recall the elegance and grace of Florence. Today's Acqua della Regina is a tribute to that gift: a citrusy discovery, a bewitching essence. Today Acqua della Regina is available as Eau de Cologne, Fluid Cream, Diffuser, Foam shower gel, Liquid Soap and even Scented Wax Tablets; so you can enjoy this wonderful fragrance the way you like it best.
Discover with us the world of Officina Profumo-Farmaceutica di Santa Maria Novella and immerse yourself in the alchemy of tales and wonders of this extraordinary maison.
Santa Maria Novella Perfumes Best Seller on 50 ml:
- Santa Maria Novella L'Iris Eau de Parfum: The first Eau de Parfum created by Santa Maria Novella after more than 800 years of activity. The basis of the olfactory construction is the indescribably precious iris butter. The most elegant of the poudré ingredients, it combines with luminous top notes such as neroli, Timur pepper and galbanum, and proceeds into a floral heart composed of geranium, sambac jasmine and magnolia champaca. Finally, a base of classic Florentine iris reveals Florence itself through a balanced olfactory discovery. Grace, technique, mystery and elegance are distilled into an Eau de Parfum that creates the very essence of time.
- Santa Maria Novella Gentle Cleanser: this product from the Santa Maria Novella Kids Line is perfect for cleansing the body and hair of little ones. It washes without irritating the skin and restores its normal barrier, for a gentle and delicate cleansing ritual. It has a delicate fragrance with notes of talcum powder and contains distilled cornflower water (soothing and softening) and panthenol (emollient and moisturising).
- Santa Maria Novella Oceania Diffuser: I Profumi del Mondo room fragrance diffusers take us on a sensory journey around the Earth. Five continents, five fragrances, and five olfactory nuances dictated by Mother Nature. Oceania Diffuser is inspired by its wonderful continent of the same name. Sea breeze, exotic flowers and the unique note of tea leaves invite new experiences.
- Santa Maria Novella Pot Pourri in Embroidered Silk Bag: Hand-embroidered silk bag, available in blue, brown and green. This blend of buds, leaves and flower petals typical of the Tuscan hills exudes the unique traditional fragrance of Santa Maria Novella, which has been produced for over three centuries. Also available for sale is the version in a ceramic decorated vase, in terracotta-jar or simply in bags and boxes.
- Santa Maria Novella Angels of Florence Eau de Cologne: A bouquet of sweet and fruity notes, dedicated to the Angels of Mud, young people from all over the world who rushed to Florence after the devastating flood of 4 November 1966 to save the heart and history of the city. Angeli di Firenze Eau de Cologne opens with juicy notes of peach combined with the brilliance of citrus fruits. In the middle, marine notes are softened by blackcurrant and brightened by jasmine. At the base, musk and sandalwood are accompanied by an elegant vanilla note.
Santa Maria Novella Perfumes Reviews: Discover Our Customers' Feedback!
- Santa Maria Novella Pomegranate in Scented Terracotta: “I bought it again for the first time after 5 years. I got it a bit as a joke, I didn't expect it to last so long. Now I have moved the old one to the guest room (it still smells good!) and the new one will go in the living room. If you have doubts about the refill, don't worry: it lasts so long that buying a new one isn't a problem.
- Santa Maria Novella Cinquanta Eau de Cologne: “The scent of love. The best floral scent I have ever smelled, Cinquanta Eau de Cologne tastes a bit like heaven. is the scent I imagine Dante smelled the first time he met Beatrice, an enveloping yet sweet sensation, fresh and sensual at the same time. Phenomenal” Alberto
- Santa Maria Novella Vespro Candle: “I like it a lot, it has a romantic and somewhat citrusy scent that communicates calm and tranquillity to me. I understand the name, which means “evening” because it fully represents the relaxation of a moment to oneself as soon as one returns home” Galia
- Santa Maria Novella Idralia Face Cream: “At first I was a bit sceptical because it didn't indicate a particular effect, but I trusted it because a shop assistant, whom I trust completely, recommended it to me. I am having a great time, my skin is soft and glowing like never before! Just one week is enough to see the results” Erika
- Santa Maria Novella Lavender Scented Wax Tablets: “I got them for the first time as a gift for a birthday, but I liked them so much that I decided to buy them for myself. I've got three versions so far: these, the rose with dried rose buds and the melograno fragrance… and they're all fantastic! Now my only problem is deciding which ones to get next time hahaha” Luisa
50 ml is an official online retailer of Santa Maria Novella. Has Santa Maria Novella won you over or do you want to try other niche perfumes? Don't miss the large selection of artistic fragrances on our website. We would like to remind you that at 50 ml you can request free samples with every order you place: just enter your preferences at check-out! Or you can try Santa Maria Novella perfumes in Milan, in our store in Viale Montenero 16. 50 ml offers you the possibility to buy samples of Santa Maria Novella and the best niche perfumes: create your own Santa Maria Novella Discovery Kit, try them all and find the one that suits you best! The best niche perfume samples are waiting for you!